Saturday, May 31, 2014
10am – 6pm
Kick off the start of hurricane season with engaging science activities and safety tips from the experts.
Event Schedule: Feel the Force Schedule 2014
Please note that this schedule is subject to change. Updated 5/29/14.
Activities fit for the whole family include the following:
- The world premiere of the museum’s new hurricane theater show, “A Hurricane Carol,” with special guest appearances.
- Meet the mascot Owlie from NOAA’s Young Meteorologist Program and see if you have what it takes to be a Meteorologist; provided by PLAN!T NOW.
- Be a TV meteorologist in the Hurricane Broadcast Center; provided by Miami Dade College.
- Interact with Tsunami Tim for a wave of entertainment and exciting weather science.
- Meet and greet with real Hurricane Hunters and discover the adventure of flying through a hurricane.
- Challenge yourself to outsmart the experts, including Curt Sommerhoff of Miami-Dade County Emergency Management, Max Mayfield of WPLG Local 10 ABC, and Chris Landsea of the National Hurricane Center.
- Build a house and see if it can stand up against Category 5 winds at FIU’s mini Wall of Wind (WOW) exhibit and then chat with the wind engineers behind WOW.
- Music, games, and prizes powered by Radio Disney Miami.
- Explore how forecasts are made and learn what is expected for this year’s hurricane season at Tropical Weather Briefings with experts from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.
- Learn how to be prepared for any disaster, including hurricane evacuation zones, with Miami-Dade County Emergency Management.
- Become part of the story with an interactive, disaster-themed storytime featuring characters from Miami-Dade Public Library.
- Explore a busload of activities with Weather on Wheels.
- Get ready for summer and hurricane season with rip current, water, and hurricane safety tips.
- Make a cloud in a bottle and more weather and climate experiments through interactive demos and activities by the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami, and the museum.
- Delicious fare available courtesy of Cheeseburger Baby food truck.
Limited parking available at the museum; additional complimentary parking will be available at La Salle High School.