The art and science of how Miami grows, cooks, enjoys (and burns off) food.
Saturday, April 19, 2014
10am* – 6pm
Spice up your life with deliciously healthy food and new moves at the 2nd Annual Miami Eats. We invite the community to share in the art and science of Miami’s food and fitness scene, while discovering how healthy and green choices affect our bodies as well as the environment.
Event Schedule: Miami-Eats
Please note that this schedule is subject to change. Updated 4/18/14.
During the event, visitors will have the opportunity to…
- Start their morning right with a special “Wake-up Yoga” class at 9am.* Please bring your own yoga mat or towel.
- Learn a new healthy recipe with cooking demos, tastings and workshops by Whole Foods, Common Threads, and other partners.
- Admire (and taste!) how food and cooking can be elevated to an art with special guest chefs, including Executive Chef Rocky from BRIO Tuscan Grille and Short Chef, the first chef to join Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move Campaign.
- Go green and learn how sustainable food is grown locally, and how they can do it themselves with lessons in hydroponics, aquaponics, and aeroponics featuring SproutsIO and the Museum’s own “gardens.”
- Get your hands dirty in a special gardening workshop by Urbangro.
- Get moving with morning and afternoon Zumba classes!
- Explore the physical and chemical processes related to cooking, eating, and burning off food.
- Test their senses while exploring new and delicious foods including a brand new, top secret recipe for Nitrogen Ice Cream from FIU’s Chaplin School of Hospitality.
- Play with Clay with special guest Artist Polo Ramirez and try your hand at sculpting whistles in the shape of your favorite foods.
- Participate in the Museum’s Fix-It Fitness & Nutrition science theater show.
- Go techie with special computer workshops and games related to food and fitness in our Best Buy Teen Tech Center by University of Miami’s Wellness in Your Hands Project and GROOVE.
- Enjoy special performances by competitive jump rope team, Supersonics Jump Rope, who are competing in World’s for Team USA, and then try it yourself.
- Give back to the community through our annual food drive and receive $2 off admission!**
*Please note – Wake-up Yoga is at 9am, but the Museum (and other activities) will not open until 10am. Please bring your own yoga mat or towel.
**Bring in two non-perishable food items to receive $2 off admission. Limit one $2 off coupon per person. Other coupons not valid with this offer. Food donations will benefit the Chapman Partnership.