Make a splash and immerse yourself in everything marine!
Two days. Two locations.
June 7-8, 2014
Saturday, June 7th (at Museum) Evening Program (FREE): June 7th Evening Program
Sunday, June 8th (at Museum) Daytime Event Schedule: June 8th Museum Schedule
Sunday, June 8th (at Knight Plaza) Special Event (FREE): June 8th Plaza Schedule
Please note that the schedules are subject to change. Last updated 6/6/14.
In celebration of World Oceans Day on June 8th, we invite you to join us for a weekend long festival that dives into the beautiful, exciting, and scientific nature of our neighbor to the east.
On Saturday, June 7th the festival begins at the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science (3280 South Miami Avenue, Miami, FL 33129) with programming continuing through Sunday, June 8th. Daytime programming is from 10am to 6pm and will include:
- A variety of beautiful underwater films showcasing marine conservation and sustainability, featuring BLUE On Tour, the touring arm of the world-renowned BLUE Ocean Film Festival & Conservation Summit.
- Breathtaking underwater photography by acclaimed worldwide photographer Zach Ransom and the 2013 and 2014 award winning photos from University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science’s Underwater Photography Contest.
- Experiencing a special virtual tour of Florida International University’s underwater laboratory, Aquarius, and chat with scientist under the sea.
- Aquariums of all shapes and sizes. Plus, guests can learn how to create their own aquarium.
- Building a coral reef (and all it’s sea creatures) out of recyclables in a community art project led by Artist Kerry Phillips.
- Local diving stars Billy Catoggio and Mitch Herne of the popular TV show “Scuba Nation.” Guests can meet the stars, and watch an episode of the show.
- Opportunities to try knot tying and learn about boating in South Florida with Shake-A-Leg Miami, an international adaptive sailing program.
- A workshop series featuring corals, underwater photography and diving certification 101 by local scientists and dive shops, including coral expert Dr. Diego Lirman of University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS), Grove Scuba, and DEP Coral Reef Conservation Program.
- Special screenings of WPBT2’s Changing Seas episodes with a surprise guest.
- Ocean-themed curious vault table, where guests can see where science and art meet.
- Plus shark and squid dissections, demos, and many more hands-on activities.
Full Schedules: June 7th Daytime Schedule and June 8th Museum Schedule
All daytime programming is free with paid museum admission.
On Saturday, June 7th there will be a special FREE evening program beginning at 6:30pm at the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science (3280 South Miami Avenue, Miami, FL 33129), including:
- Premiere screening of “Raising Shrimp” by Fish Navy Films with filmaker and founder Dr. Ted Caplow. (Click here for the trailer.)
- A selection of short films curated by Beneath the Waves Film Festival.
- Special Q&A with scientists and filmmakers.
- Free food and cash bar
Please RSVP here: http://mufsaturday.eventbrite.com
Saturday, June 7th Evening Program Schedule: June 7th Evening Program
Free admission. Must be 21+. The evening program is sponsored in part by COSEE Florida.
On Sunday, June 8th the festival continues with a special celebration at Knight Plaza in Museum Park (1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, FL 33132; adjacent to the new Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science currently under construction). Free programming will be from 12pm – 4pm and will include:
- AQUAJET demos on the bay at 1pm and 3pm.
- Fun scavenger hunts around the plaza, during which guests can challenge their marine skills.
- Continuing to build a coral reef (and all it’s sea creatures) out of recyclables in a community art project led by Artist Kerry Phillips.
- String trio performances by the Greater Miami Youth Symphony.
- Nautical knot training with Shake-A-Leg Miami.
- Explore the latest science research with fun interactives by Florida International University and Oceana on a variety of ocean topics.
- Learning about water safety in the ocean with Miami-Dade County Ocean Rescue.
- Fun interactive demos and “life-size” games related to Miami marine themes.
- Sign-up for special coastal restoration efforts and plant sea oats with Museum Volunteers for the Environment (MUVE) and Surfrider Miami.
- Make a splash at Adrienne Arsht Center’s H2Ombre sneak peak.
- Photo-ops with a giant shark balloon.
- Complimentary snacks from The Better Chip, ZICO Coconut Water and more!
Full Schedule: June 8th Plaza Schedule
FREE Admission to the Knight Plaza event (parking fees may apply). The Knight Plaza event is sponsored in part by Miami Downtown Development Authority (DDA) and DWNTWN Miami.
We recommend taking the Metromover (FREE) to the “Museum Park” stop on the OMNI line.