The overall goal of GREAT! is to raise interest and skills in advanced technology applications among middle school girls, particularly girls of color.
- To build girls' confidence and expertise with advanced technology applications.
- To engage girls in the use of advanced technology to solve real-world problems.
- To strengthen girls' communication and presentation skills.
- To contribute to and inform the field through a comprehensive evaluation of project outcomes.
GREAT! builds on research-based best practices related to gender equity in science education, which identlfys several key elements for engaging girls in IT, including:
- Single-sex programming
- Cooperative learning approaches
- Incorporation of female role models, instructors, and mentors
- Embedding technology skills into a problem or context of relevance to girls.
GREAT! incorporates all of these key elements into its program strategies.