The little town of McCarthy, Alaska has a few lovely buildings, some dirt roads, and spectacular vistas. It also has an airstrip, and some friendly and knowledgeable pilots who will take you up in a plane for a tour of this magnificent place from above. This was a touristy opportunity that several of us decided to take advantage of, but it was definitely a learning experience as well, getting to see the glaciers that we have been talking about, walking on, and learning about, from above! Eleven of us started off from this cabin in McCarthy and headed off to the airstrip with Wrangell Mountain Air, ready to go up in two airplanes. I went up with four others with Austin, who took us up in a Cessna-206. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I’ll just let these pictures speak to you. (But I’ll include a few words to you can learn about this awesome place too.)
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram!My Tweets
- Marie on Post from a Scientist: “Atmosphere-Sea Ice Interactions”
- Anthony Shaw on Post from a Scientist: “Atmosphere-Sea Ice Interactions”
- Shaun on Post from a Scientist: The Climate Crystal Ball
- David on Post from a Scientist: Water Slides!
- Samiah on Post from a Scientist: Greenland Ice, South Florida Water