How does the ocean get its salt ?
It gets its salt when water finds its way to rivers that flow into the ocean, the salt is added to the ocean water.
What materials are needed to do this experiment ?
What procedures would you need to do this experiment ?
1. Use the pencil and pierce 6 holes into the bottom of the paper cups.
2. Put coffee filter inside of cup.
3. In the second cup, mix the salt and the soil together.
4. Fill the soil mixture inside the cup with the coffee filter.
5. Put the paper on to the plate.
6. Use the modeling clay to support the cup above the paper.
7. Use spoonfuls of water until water drain out of the cup.
8. Continue to let water drain, then allow the paper to dry.
The results of this experiment are ?
The results of this experiment is that white crystals of salt form on the paper.
Why does this happen?
While the water continue to flows throw the soil, the salt dissolves causing the salt to collects on the black construction paper. As the paper dry, the water evaporates, and the white crystals are left behind. In nature, as rainwater falls, it dissolves the minerals from the earth including salt. As the water drifts from the earth from the soil into a river , the salt is carried and ultimately deposed on the ocean floor.