Model Lesson Plan
The classroom teacher will model the lesson for the class. Divide the
text into logical parts and use these strategies for each part.
- Read aloud the first part of the passage to the students. Pause and
model these strategies:
- What does _______ mean?
- What is a _______?
- Picture in Your Mind:
- What image comes to your mind as you hear this part of the lesson being
read? (Note: You may want to have the students read and highlight the first
time, and then close their eyes and try to visualize as you read to them
the second time.) Ask the students to tell which words or phrases helped
them "see" the passage.
- Ask Teacher-Like Questions:
- Who or what is this lesson about?
- What do we know about _______?
- What are the clues that tell us _______?
- What is the main idea of this passage?
- What is it mostly about?
- What information in this passage tells you that?
- What do you think the next part will be about?
- Read aloud the next part of the text. Pause and repeat the above procedure.
Do this until you are sure the students understand the process of Reciprocal
- After modeling several passages, move the process of Reciprocal Teaching
from teacher-directed to student-directed.
- Choose five of your "best" readers to be the teacher-leaders
for the next level of Reciprocal Teaching. Divide the text into five logical
parts. Give each student a script and let them
read over their part of the lesson before they begin to "teach"
- Pass out the student task cards to the others
in the class. Make sure you have enough cards so that every student has
one. Number each task card so that it corresponds to the student teacher-leader
numbers. Some students may be partners if you don't have enough cards.
If you have too many cards, give some students more than one card.
- Remind the students that they may consult their bookmarks
at any time for the reciprocal teaching strategies or question stems.
- Each teacher-leader will read his/her part of the text and the students
with the corresponding cards will respond to the questions.
- Read the title of the passage to the students. Ask the student with
Prediction Card #1 to predict what the passage will be about.
TEC Home / Lesson
Plans / Materials